Saturday, June 9, 2012

Audiobook: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Read by Jeff Woodman

16-year-old Miles "Pudge" Halter doesn't like his life in Florida. He wants to look for a "Great Perhaps" by leaving home and entering a boarding school in Alabama. There he makes friends with his roommate Chip, aka "The Colonel," and falls for a girl named Alaska. At the boarding school, Pudge comes out of his shell and by the influence of his friends he starts to drink, smoke, and play pranks on staff and students. Everything is fun and games until a tragedy strikes Miles and his group of friends.

This is my first John Green book and I ended up liking it. It is a typical young adult book that sends out serious messages about loss, loneliness, and suffering. The book was also filled with humor that made the characters more interesting as the chapters lead up to the big event. I enjoyed how the book was structured. Each chapter was titled "(#) days before" as it counted down to an event that the reader knows that something big was going to happen. Then after the event, the chapters were titled "(#) days after", showing how the characters were trying to cope with what happened.

Also, the narrator did a great job in presenting the book. I really enjoyed how he was able to change his voice for each character and was amazed that he could rap on the parts that one of Mile's friends will start rapping. Overall, this book did not disappoint.

For more info check out Shelfari or
Buy the book at Amazon

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I loved "Looking for Alaska"! This was one of my favorite YA books! Sad! but I like sad books!
    Another really good YA book (one of my favs.) is - "North of Beautiful"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read, "Fault in our Stars"? A lot of people are recommending me that book.

    ReplyDelete