Sunday, August 17, 2014

Audiobook- The Mysterious Howling: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood

Read by Katherine Kellgren

Synopsis: Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.

Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.


But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?


My Thoughts: What a delightful surprise this book was! I checked this out at the library because the cover caught my attention and I wanted an easy read. I did not realized how much I was going to enjoy this book. It was fun, charming, and heartwarming.

The story of Miss Penelope and the children captured my attention right away. It reminded me of the story of Tarzan or Mowgli (Jungle Book). The idea of finding children who were raised by wolves was quite intriguing. I was astonished as to how the people reacted to these children, especially by the men who loved to hunt. I quickly fell in love with the main character, Penelope, who did everything in her power to make these children feel loved, accepted, and be more "civilized." I also enjoyed the nuisances that the Incorrigibles went through. There were also very heartwarming parts with the children and Penelope. It was amazing to see how they quickly developed a relationship. It was great fun to listen to this story.

This children's book was read by Katherine Kellgren. She did a fantastic job in capturing the heart and soul of this book. Not only was she able to capture the characters, but she did an excellent job in acting out the children's dialogue. If I were to try to read the "words" the children said, I think I would have failed. She was also able to sound out all the onomatopoeia words that created the atmosphere of this book. Ms. Kellgren was able to bring this book to life.

As a whole, this was a wonderful production. I enjoyed the story and the characters. I especially loved listening to the story. I highly recommend this book to any kid or any adult with a kid's heart. I rate it:

1 comment:

  1. I've wanted to read this - and last year it was one of the downloads for Audiobook Sync but only after it was over did I discover I didn't get all the parts! I am glad this was so enjoyable and a great listen! I will seek out the audiobook through my library now! I'm sure I will enjoy this heartwarming and charming read.

    ReplyDelete