Sunday, April 26, 2015

Audiobook: Of Triton by Anna Banks



*This review may contain spoilers to the first book, Of Poseidon.*

http://covers.audiobooks.com/images/covers/full/9781620642313.jpg
Read by Rebecca Gibel
Time: 7 hours 54 minutes

Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess and now struggles with an identity crisis. As a half-breed, she’s a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm. Syrena law states that all half-breeds should be put to death.

As if that’s not bad enough, her mother’s reappearance in the Syrena world turns the two kingdoms - Poseidon and Triton - against one another. That leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen’s request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself - and her gift - to save a people she’s never known?




My Thoughts: I loved the first book, Of Poseidon, so much that I had to get my hands on this one. I was thrilled when an audio copy became available at Overdrive. I couldn't wait to continue the story of Emma and Galen, especially after the shocking ending of the first book. This second book was also entertaining.

The story picked up right after the first book. I was still a little shocked at the revelation that Emma's mother was the long-thought dead Princess Nalia. I suspected that Emma's mother was Syrena, but I didn't guess that she was the princess. Because of this, the opening of this book was exciting. Emma's mother, Nalia, did everything possible to escape from Galen and the other Syrena while forcibly taking Emma with her.

It was interesting to learn more about the Syrena world in this book. There was more background information as to what happened to Grom and Princess Nalia. It was bittersweet to see them reunited after so many years. Syrena's politics were also described in this book and it was fascinating to listen to how they worked. The long trial scene with the Syrena reminded me of the Roman/Greek times.

Another great thing about this book was the characters. Emma became stronger in this book and her powers became more defined. Galen became overprotected (the good kind) and Rayna began to show a different side of her. Other characters such as Toraf, Grom, and Nalia also made further development that I was able to enjoy.

This audio production was read by Rebecca Gibel and she did another wonderful job. She was able to add more emotions to the situations and her ability to portray different characters strengthen with this read. She was able to keep me hooked from beginning to end and I was able to visualize the story vividly.  Ms. Gibel was the perfect narrator for this series.

I do admit that I didn't fall in love with this book like I did with the first one. First, I felt that the story was too rushed. It would have been nice that some of these scenes were drawn out more for easier digestion. Next, certain aspects were unbelievable. I understand this was a fantasy book, which makes everything fictional, but I found myself scratching my head a few times. For example, Emma's mother not realizing that Emma could have Syrena abilities, knowing that Emma was half Syrena, did not sit too well with me. The last thing that somewhat disappointed me was the ending. I guess I was hoping for another shocking cliffhanger like the first book, but it did leave it open for the next book.

As a whole, I still enjoyed this book. The story was fun and exciting, characters were developed more, and I got to learn more about the Syrena world. Though I didn't love it as much as I did the first one, it was still a wonderful read. I rate it:


No comments:

Post a Comment