Monday, November 21, 2016

Mini Reviews: Cinderella Part 2- Silly Children Stories


Man...I had these posts ready weeks ago and I completely forgot to publish them. Whoops!

Anywho, I have read a few children's books for my student teaching. One of the units that I covered with my students was on fairy tales. The unit began with a modern tale of Cinderella. It was cute that I then decided to focus on the various ininterpretations of this classic tale. Here are two silly ones that I read: 

 Book #3

Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella by Tony Johnston and James Warhola

In this parody of the classic tale, the characters are Bigfoots. The female creatures loved to decorate their bodies with flowers. However, Rrrrella did not like to do so. She preferred to be unkempt but disliked being teased so she wore the flowers on her body. Rrrrella was not treated fairly by her stepmother and stepsisters; she had to do all of the heavy work. Then one day, everything changes when the prince holds a contest. Will Rrrrela win?

This is a cute story with very colorful illustrations. It is fun and corny, and I can see how kids may enjoy reading or listening to this tale. The pictures are also eye catching, even though I was not too fond of the big noses that the characters had.  I rate it 3 stars



Book #4

Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella by Susan Lowell, Illustrated by Jane Manning

Now, this story is sure adorable! Cindy Ellen is not the typical character who wins the prince's (the rancher's son's) heart with her beauty; she impresses him with her rodeo skills. Though she is mistreated by her bratty stepsisters and mean stepmother, Cindy Ellen learns to stick up for herself, sending a positive message to the reader.

This interpretation of Cinderella is funny and entertaining. It is filled with Western twang and a godmother that likes to "shoot" things. It had me flipping the pages. I rate it 4 stars.  
  




What do you think of these retellings? Will you read them yourself?  

No comments:

Post a Comment